I often use this handout for the girls/women in the support group I co-facilitate. In this season of giving, charity, and remembering our Savior, I thought it would be good to remind myself what Love really is.
1. Love is Patient – The word translated “patient” means to wait patiently for the fulfillment of expectations. Have you ever met someone you liked so much that you wanted to push the relationships and make it progress faster? Sure you have! Love, however, is willing to give the relationship time to grow at a natural pace. It does not push but is willing to wait for the relationship to grow at a rate that is satisfactory to both parties.
2. Love is Kind – Love seeks to encourage and build up on others. It respects the feelings and emotions of others. It finds its greatest satisfaction in making others happy, i.e. compliment one another, magnify the other’s strength, listen to one another. Pay close attention to way each of you has to say and make each other feel that what each says is important, etc.
3. Love is not Jealous – Jealousy usually indicates an insecure and immature heart. Love wants the best for others, but jealousy is possessive. Jealous is reflected in the childish statement, “If he is going to talk to her, then he can just forget about me!” Often, one person wants to totally possess the other and to restrict her relationships with others.
4. Love does not Brag – Love is not a windbag and is not anxious to impress. Often, a guy will brag to a girl, trying to impress her so that she will like him. A truly great person, however, does not need to exalt himself. Others will exalt him.
5. Love is not Arrogant – Love is not conceited, boastful, cocky or stuck up. Love, instead, is humble and has a servant attitude. Sometimes, a guy may come across to a girl with an “I can take you or leave you attitude.” His demeanor implies, “you ought to be thankful that somebody as neat as me is dating you.” Of course this is not love.
6. Love always Covers – This world cover means to pass over in silence, to keep confidential. Love is patient with faults of others. It doesn’t criticize or broadcast to the world the faults of others. Love is present even when it knows the other is not perfect.
7. Love always Perseveres – Love always stands it ground and holds out. It will outlast anything. It will even love on the face of unreturned love. Real love will last through all sorts of trials, tribulations and stresses.
8. Love is not Provoked – This means that love has a long fuse. It does not become irritated and angry. It is not easily offended. Love does not seek its own. This is the heart of love. Love is other-centered not self-centered. Love says, “I love you, I want to give you.” Selfishness says, “I love you, I want you!”
9. Love does not act Unbecomingly – This means that love does not behave disgracefully, dishonorably, or indecently. It does not embarrass others by its actions. It is characterized by tact and sensitivity. This also means that love should have good manners.
10. Love is Forgiving – Love doesn’t hold grudges when it has been wronged. It doesn’t remain resentful. Loves means always having to say you’re sorry.